PowerShell

Check DNS accross all your Domain Controllers

Posted by robd on November 22, 2019
Active Directory, DNS, powershell / 1 Comment

Handy bit of PowerShell my bestest ever friend wrote to check DNS accross domain controllers:

 

 

Tags: ,

Run PowerShell through a Proxy

Posted by robd on August 27, 2019
powershell, Proxy / No Comments

At work I’m behind a proxy which caused me havock when trying to install modules into PowerShell.

That was until I found this amazing script to tell PowerShell to use a proxy.

First open your PowerShell profile by either doing this in PowerShell:

Or open “Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1” and  “Microsoft.PowerShellISE_profile.ps1” in Explorer with notepad:

Once open, paste in the following, editing the proxy address and port.

This will use your current credentials you’re logged in with to pass the commands to the proxy server.

Test with a

 

Tags: , ,

Set-ACL – Se file and folder permissions

Posted by robd on May 12, 2019
powershell, Server / No Comments

I wanted to add an AD group to all the files and folders in a share, the problem is inheritance had been turned off on lots of the folders so I couldn’t just add the AD group to the top and let it filter down. So the solution was to use PowerShell.
First I mapped a drive to the Share (x: in this case). Why didn’t I run this on the server? UAC is a pain in the bum.

You’ll need to change the path and the domain and AD group.

 

Tags: ,

Get-ACL – Report file and folder permissions

Posted by robd on May 11, 2019
powershell, Server / No Comments

If you need to report out file and folder permissions of a file share, see the below PowerShell.

First map the the share to a drive if it isnt already.  In my case X: drive.

Why didn’t I do this on the server hosting the files?  UAC gets in the way and is a pain the bum.

 

 

Tags: ,

Edit VMs using PowerShell and PowerCLI

Posted by robd on January 28, 2019
powershell, vmware / No Comments

To resize VMs using PowerShell with PowerCLI from a csv list, first install the software:

 

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=PCLI650R1&productId=614

 

Then create a list of servers to resize and save it as a CSV file in C:\temp\VMs.csv:

 

 

Save the below as Something.PS1 and run from PowerCLI

Note: Change VCENTRE to your vCentre, this script will TURN THE SERVER OFF then give each VM two CPUs, one socket and 5GBs of RAM.

 

 

Tags: , ,

Forcing a SMTP on a Mailbox fails

Posted by robd on October 24, 2018
Exchange Online / No Comments

As I mentioned in another post, you can force a EoL mailbox to take on a SMTP with this command:

But occasionally it won’t work:

So to find who’s using the address you can search all of Azure using:

 

Tags: ,

Exchange Online – Hybrid – Missing SMTP

Posted by robd on October 23, 2018
Exchange Online / No Comments

Strange issue today, synced a bunch of users from on prem to Exchange which was successful.

Then the user was missing his default SMTP address on EoL but the SMTP was there on prem:

EoL, no COM:

EX prem, has COM

First thing to check, is the domain setup as a accepted domain in EoL (should be as the migration would of failed otherwise).

Next you can “override” the sync process by using the following EoL cmdlet:

 

Tags: ,

Install the Remote Server Administration Tools (RSAT) on Windows 10 1809 via PowerShell

Posted by robd on October 19, 2018
powershell / No Comments

Just a quick one, to install RSAT on Windows 10 1809 via PowerShell:

then check:

 

Tags: , ,

Use PowerShell to Remotely Enable Firewall Exceptions

Posted by robd on October 18, 2018
powershell / No Comments

Got this today while connecting to Event viewer on a remote windows 10 machine:

To Fix remotely:

 

 

 

Tags:

WSUS – Updates not downloading updates

Posted by robd on October 11, 2018
WSUS / No Comments

Had this very annoying issue on the WSUS console where updates would just stick.

The fix was really very simple although I tried a varierty of things that didnt work first.

The fix:

Stop the following services (I actually had to disable and reboot as they wouldnt stop):

Then delete this folder:

Restart the services and bobs your uncle.

 

What didnt work but might for you (or me in the future):

Find the failed update:

From the WSUS management console, you can go to Updates -> All Updates. After searching out the approved updates, and then adding the column for File Status, you can see the updates in downloading.

For the updates downloading incompletely, you can decline these updates.

or

Look for these events and decline the update:

Or

Cancel all updates from PowerShell

Then let them download and keep and eye on which is struggling and decline it.

Or

Reset WSUS content:

1) Correct any settings above or disapprove any unneeded updates.

2) Close any open WSUS consoles.

3) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and STOP the Update Services service.

4) In Windows Explorer browse to the WSUSContent folder (typically D:\WSUS\WSUSContent or C:\WSUS\WSUSContent)

5) Delete ALL the files and folders in the WSUSContent folder.

6) Go to Administrative Tools – Services and START the Update Services service.

7) Open a command prompt and navigate to the folder: C:\Program Files\Update Services\Tools.

8) Run the command WSUSUtil.exe RESET

Or

Check the permission of the WSUS Content folder, check if NETWORK SERVICE and WSUS administrators have full permission

Or

Reindex the SQL DB:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61

Tags: ,

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.