DNS

DNS for a subdomain

Posted by robd on May 08, 2014
DNS / No Comments

Hi All,

My company uses a sub domain for a satellite office, all works fine and replication takes places etc etc.

The problem I had was with DNS.  I’m based in Contoso.local and I cannot ping any device the sub-domain Sub.contoso.local without fully qualifying the domain.

For example if I ping a server1 on the subdomain using

DNS cannot route the command where as if I type

it works fine.

I’ve checked DNS on Contoso.local and there are conditional forwarders to Sub.contoso.local:

DNS_Issue

So how can I get around this??  The answer is to add a DNS Suffix locally or to all the domain devices via group policy:

Group policy:

Computer Policy > Policies > Administrative Templates > Network/DNS Client > DNS Suffix Search List.

DNS_Issue_GP_Suffix

Then GPUPDATE /force your client and run IPCONFIG /ALL and you should see:

DNS_Issue_IPCONFIG

 

 

Tags: , , , , , ,

DHCP, DNS and DCPROMO issues

Posted by robd on May 07, 2013
DCPROMO, DHCP, DNS / No Comments

Today was an interesting, over the bank holiday I demoted an old 2003 domain controller, let’s call it Server1.

All went to plan, changed the IP address of the DNS on the network card and ran DCPROMO, nexting through all the options.

Reboot, ran a few tests:

 

Well that all seemed fine and all the results were great.

Tuesday comes round and I turn up to bedlam!!

Around 20 or 30 machines were referencing Server1 for DNS and since the dcpromo the DNS server only had Active Directory integrated DNS running meaning users couldn’t get to a host of sites!!

The question was though, why on earth were they referencing Server1?

To try and resolve I did the normal client side:

But no matter what I did the DNS server reverted back.

So after some thought I logged onto Sercver1 and checked DHCP because as you know DHCP assigns DNS and the default gateway etc to clients.

The service was enabled which worried me slightly and the Scopes were disabled but more importantly the Server options were all referencing the wrong server!!  So I quickly changed the options then disabled the DHCP service.

Rebooted the clients and Bam, everything was back up and running as it should.

For some strange reason the clients were using the  wrong DHCP server along with its incorrect settings.

So I urge you if you have this problem check all your DHCP server first!!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Copy Protected by Chetan's WP-Copyprotect.